Monday, November 24, 2008

Moving on up.

I have just returned from a meeting with my consultant at Kings College Hospital, and I'm pleased to say that apparently in the past 2 weeks I've moved up from 12th on the blood-type-A list to 6th! Practically speaking I'm 3rd in line for my size of liver, so really the call could come at any time now.
A good thing too, as my health is gradually deteriorating. I'm at the point now where the itching is waking me up in the night, I find it hard to get to sleep before about 2am, and I am in desperate need of sleep in the mid-afternoon. Its all caused by mild encephalitis - brain inflammation caused, in this case, by the high level of unfiltered chemicals in my bloodstream. Essentially my liver is no longer able to break down and filter these substances as it should as it is getting scarred and also blocked up with bile acids.
Still, despite all that I'm still getting to work pretty much every day, and keeping up some sort of social life. I'm no longer doing any class-teaching so its more of a desk-job at school but its great to still be able to be helpful and contribute something useful. At the weekend I went down to Oxford to visit Sarah, my dance partner. She's currently competing on the university team while I'm not able to dance myself. We had a bit of a practice and a good catch up.
On Sunday I spent most of the day with my brother and sister-in-law Charles and Kathy, and my gorgeous 2-year old nephew Patrick. Here's a few recent photos of the general fun that Patrick and I have been having!

Anyway, thanks to everyone who's been asking after me and reading this. I'll try and post a bit more frequently, and don't worry I'll definitely post on here as soon as I get the call!

No comments: