Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Waiting list update

I've just had some really interesting insight in to the state of the waiting list. Apparently I am currently number 12 on the blood-type A waiting list. In the past week and a half at Kings they have not had any 'A' livers available - they do come completely at random so its impossible to extrapolate from that.

To complicate things significantly they would not necessarily treat all 11 people above me before getting to me. Fortunately I am one of the most straightforward transplants they have waiting in my blood group due to my relative good health and fitness. Many of the patients above me are waiting for multiple organ transplants (e.g. both kidneys and liver), at least 5 are very heavy (requiring larger livers), and some have other complicating health conditions which would mean a much smaller portion of livers would be suitable for them. It is therefore quite possible that in many cases they would jump over many of those waiting before me.

So, a very uncertain picture, but I do feel more comfortable having a better idea of what is going on in their decision-making process.

In the meantime I am getting on a little better at work now. I am starting the process of handing over some of my classes to a supply teacher right now, as frankly my energy levels are not very good at the moment and I would imagine are unlikely to improve hugely. The kids have received the reasons why in their stride, with several of them speculating quietly whether I might in fact just be an alcoholic (not maliciously, they just can't resist being amusingly cheeky)! Generally they've been very nice about it, and seem to appreciate the fact that the school is managing the situation carefully.

So, a more positive picture, and I'm glad to understand the whole thing better. I'm going to have a meeting with a counsellor on Friday to make sure that I don't have any more falling-apart days like Monday, and to stay positively focused on keeping well, staying fit, and just being calmly ready.

And finally some great breaking news research that is highly relevant to me:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/582920

No comments: