Sunday, April 05, 2009

Manic - in the best possible way

First of all, and most importantly, have a look at this and SIGN UP TODAY:

Please, sign up today, and save a life

What a week it has been. I've been far too busy to post on my blog, and I guess that is a trend that may continue so you'll have to excuse me if I'm posting only once or twice a week now. On Tuesday I went in to work in the morning and had a really efficient few hours. I got lots of projects started, and managed to grow my things-to-do list in to double figures! In the afternoon, after a very short break for lunch, I headed over to St. Albans where I took Patrick out to the park and we had a lovely time looking at trains, playing in the sand pit, and collecting pine cones, stones and twigs in his little wheelbarrow. I love my Patrick-time, and I'm pretty sure he's quite keen on Uncle-Didi time too. Tuesday night was my one and only evening in, at home with Dad and Carole. One Wednesday morning I drove over to St Albans again and helped bundle a huge quantity of suitcases in to Charles and Kathy's car, along with Patrick and friend-of-the-family Mark. I took them all up to Luton airport, though Patrick was so excited he was demanding I turn and look at every single item in the airport ("LOOK Uncle Didi LOOK, is a BIG Airpot an' a REALLY REALLY BIG windmill" - aka the radar).

They got off successfully, and I headed back home for another swift lunch before heading to Harrow for another Shiatsu session with Barry, who was delighted with my progress from the previous week. I went straight from there back to my flat where I met with my old school-friend Andy. We had a really fantastic catch-up over a superb meal from the Fine Burger Company (really worth a try if you've not been before), and I didn't get back to Watford until midnight. 

Thursday morning I was up bright and early to go to work again. More efficiency, more meetings. I was loving it, and definitely looking forward to getting these next two weeks of Easter holiday out of the way, to get back nearly full-time work. Once again, a brief lunch at home, then off to Harley Street to meet with Drew Price, a nutritionist. It was my first consultation and I was very impressed indeed - he has both a clinical/medical background as well as being a top sports nutritionist (apparently he works for Chelsea football club too). Lots of useful hints and tips and he is going to send me a big information pack with recommendations next week. Quite excitingly it was my first trip by tube since the operation. I know they said to be careful of public transport but considering I've been wandering round supermarkets and my school I think its a little silly to single out trains as banned, so I'm just being careful about being in well-ventilated carriages and keeping my hands clean.

As soon as I got home from that I had all of 45 minutes before setting off to Hampton Court (a horrible journey at 6pm) where I spent a really enjoyable evening in my friend Sharon's art exhibition in the Fountain Gallery, followed by a lovely Italian meal. Again, not back until midnight!

Friday, I had my only quiet morning, then headed off to Finchley Road in the early afternoon, taking most of my belongings with me from Watford. I had a lovely afternoon pampering myself with long baths, relaxing, and doing some dancing around the flat on the lovely wooden floor, before going out to the best show I have seen in years. La Clique is a burlesque circus showing in the Hippodrome. I just can't recommend it enough. It is painfully funny, stupendously impressive, joyously entertaining, and totally unexpected. Book it NOW, you absolutely will not regret it. No, go on, I mean it - right now...

Rich, who had taken me to NoFit State Circus last Sunday has seen it 4 times now, and I can completely understand why he was so keen to take me to see it too. I can't wait to see it again either. He and I had a really good meal and chinwag at Wagamama's afterwards - a *really* wonderful evening.

Saturday morning I was woken at 8:30am by Nick and Sarah who had just flown in from South Africa. We had a good catch up over a cuppa and swapped Safari stories. Our friend Ian arrive at 10am, and we got ourselves ready and headed to Green Park station by 11am. There we met up with the remaining members of the Stag and Hen parties for Chris and Hazel's wedding, although chief Hen Laura was sadly in A&E with a trapped nerve in her neck. Fortunately the challenges and games went ahead anyway with what props I brought with and the girls went to buy on the spot. After an hour of running around, pouring beer over each other, blindfold sniffing, accosting strangers to tell stories, welsh-national-anthem singing, and other such shenanigans (which the many, many tourists in Green Park were loving) the stag and hen parties went their separate ways. I led the Stags (in my role as best man) to Gourmet Burger (again) in Soho, followed by Zebrano Bar for a cocktail-making and drinking session (where I sipped a little of each to show willing). On to my flat for poker and pizza (with two decks of Karma Sutra playing cards), and finally the tacky 'delights' of Spearmint Rhino. All the Stag-Do boxes were thoroughly ticked and a good time was had by all. I hear the Hens had a similarly good time, and fortunately Laura was soon discharged from A&E and joined in most of the day with them.

I am now finally back home, elated, and looking forward to another good week ahead. So far it is looking less busy, though frankly if this week is anything to go by I shall fill it up swiftly. I think I will spend at least half my time in Finchley Road, maybe more. 

Healthwise, all is going well. The remaining stitch that was poking out and being slightly sore was finally accessibly to trim today, so I suspect the soreness will reduce hugely now that its no longer so sharp and pokey. My digestion is putting up very well with all this eating out, and I'm putting weight on at quite a rate (2 or 3 kilos in the last week, which is remarkable). I've only had about 6 paracetamol tablets in the past 5 days, and otherwise no other painkillers. I've done 2 more workouts, each longer than the last, and I'm finally managing to put a little effort in without feeling exhausted after 5 minutes. There is next-to-no yellow in my eyes at all, and every single person I meet has told me how well I'm looking (yes, I need to put a new picture up).

Life has never been better.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Thanks for reposting the flyer love!

Great Blog x