Saturday, April 11, 2009

On a high

I've just woken up, and I'm still buzzing from last night. With some difficulty I tracked down a couple of friends (Harriet and Jan) who weren't off seeing their families over the weekend and headed out in to Soho for a couple of drinks. There we met up with my friend Rich, his boyfriend Tim, and two other friends(one of whom was apparently one of Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake dancers), and sat around chatting for ages before heading out to Heaven nightclub which is beneath Charing Cross station.  

I had such a brilliant time! Different rooms in the club played everything from 70s and 80s through to more modern music, and I danced non-stop. Harriet (who is another ex-oxford dancer) and I couldn't resist showing off a bit with some impromptu latin, and were particularly amused when we found another latin dancer having a bit of a show-off. We ended up almost putting on a bit of a show, with each of us guys taking turns with Harriet with rather cunning ways of jumping in and taking over while she never stopped!

So I really feel that if I could cope happily with that last night I can cope with anything. I met some lovely people, had a great time, and it really goes to show just what amazing progress I'm making to be able to do that just exactly 9 weeks after my transplant. In fact another confirmation of that was the clinic appointment on Thursday where I got my blood-test results from 2 weeks ago. Two more levels had come down in to the normal range (including the previously all-important bilirubin which is now below 20!!) leaving only the GGT level slightly higher (although only marginally, and it had been steadily reducing over the past 3 weeks). I'm still waiting for a reduction in my medication, but they wanted to review this week's blood tests before deciding on the new dose. 

The consultant was all set to tell me to take one and a half steroid tablets per day (instead of 2) until I objected that they were 'enteric-coated' i.e. covered in sugar to prevent damage to the stomach lining, and that if cut in half this would have no effect. He laughed, and said it was a good point, and that he'd leave me on 2 tablets for now, then hopefully reduce it to one in a fortnight. You've gotta watch these guys...

All the medics and nurses were very pleased to see how well I was looking, and they confirmed that I'd gained 4kg in the past fortnight, which is an incredibly achievement for me as I've always really struggled to put any weight on in the past. I think the workouts must be helping, but the chief reason has to be haing a liver that actually plays its part in the digestive process!

This weekend I'm mostly taking it easy and gently carrying on my huge reorganisation of all my papers, clothes and books. Tonight I'm driving to Luton airport to pick up Charles and family. I think I shall also start planning another evening out for another weekend some time soon!

No comments: