Wednesday, December 14, 2005

And the results are almost in...

After a pretty crap 3-hour-sleep night, I drove over to the hospital this morning to talk to Dr. O'Grady. A very interesting meeting, and possibly very good news. The main points were:
  • Biopsy showed no cirrhosis, i.e. damage to the liver tissue itself is not as extensive as we had feared.
  • The CT scan, however, confirmed the extensive cholangeopathy in the bile ducts. That is, there is a lot of damage to the bile-flow system within the liver - more so than normally seen in a PSC patient appearing as well as I do.
  • As a result of this, at this afternoon's transplant multidisciplinary meeting, it is highly likely that they will recommend transplant. This will be confirmed by a phone-call later today.
  • The waiting time estimate has increased to 9-12 months due to a large number of people awaiting transplant at the moment.
  • I will see Dr. O'Grady again at the beginning of January

Very positive news. Shame the wait is much longer, but he completely agrees that its better to have me on the list and see how I do, rather than put the decision off.

On a completely different note, I went to Semley dance studio last night. Sharon picked me up from Watford and drove me over there, and it was absolutely fantastic. Loads of friends there, really delighted to see us (Luca, Vesa, Greg, Marcin, Clive, Tris, Indika for those of you who know!) and we had a really good time. Right at the end when everyone else had cleared the floor we even had a couple of minutes of Rumba, and boy it felt good! In fact Greg said it looked better than it ever had before, despite us having not practiced for 3 months. All that thinking (ok, obsessing) about dancing has clearly been worth something then.

Another really nice thing was being able to get into my car and drive myself about a bit. Wonderful to have the freedom. Tonight I'm being taken to the cinema by Chris, Hazel and her sister to see Narnia. Tomas is just about to pop round for a coffee and a chat, and somewhere between the two I'm going to try and get some more sleep in.

Another quick post later to confirm the transplant decision...

No comments: