Tuesday, December 27, 2005

A blogfull of turkey

The last few days have been intense but delightful - full of family, friends and food. I don't know whether its the very rich diet I've been eating, but I've been pretty tired most days and had to have a sleep in the afternoon. Still, the rest of the time I've been spending time very enjoyably visiting people, playing with my gorgeous 9-month old nephew (officially step-nephew I guess, but that sounds ridiculous), and being social.

It wasn't without its poignant moments. On Christmas day itself I went over to Mum's old house in Northwood with my brother Charles and his wife Kathy. It only struck me when I arrived that I hadn't actually been back since she'd died - in fact the last time I left was the day before, being rushed away to Kings College Hospital while she was in a coma. Needless to say it was emotional. Hard to forget how much she'd desperately wanted to hang on until she could spend one last Christmas with us, but probably a kindness that she didn't have to suffer that long.

I allowed myself a very small glass of champagne to join in to a toast to her, when we got back home.

So now, boxing day also gone, and most of the family have upped and headed off. I've got lots of people to see over the next few days, so I think I'll probably head back to London for a while and see how I go. Even with being tired, I'm definitely now of the opinion that come January's meeting with Dr. O'Grady I should ask to be suspended from the list at least, and maybe taken off. Even though the chance of being called for transplant this early is extremely slim, its something thats at the back of my mind, as are those damned statistics.

If I stay like I am now then I'll be able to do some limited dancing and working, but generally get by for a while. Strikes me as better to do that while waiting for those cunning researchers to improve the drugs and methods in transplant technology so that I don't have to worry quite so much about being the next family casualty...

On an entirely different note I appear to have developed a penchant for blogging after midnight. Madness. Given its now nearly 1:30am I think I'll head to bed. Last night was the most blissfully successful sleep of the last 7 days, so fingers crossed for a repeat performance!

No comments: