Tuesday, December 13, 2005

A tale of rampant school children, long hair, and poor sleep

I decided to make a dash in to Watford town centre yesterday afternoon to get my 'bushy' hair sorted out. I was pretty full of energy, and looking forward to getting the mop tamed. Its only about a 10 minute walk into the top of the town centre area, so I set off at a fair old trot.

After about 5 minutes I suddenly started to notice them. Kids. Lots of 'em. Huddled in little groups, kicking footballs, generally being in the way. Not that I have a phobia of kids, only you start to worry about meeting kids you used to teach. Some of them are lovely. Some of them, not to put too fine a point on it, aren't!

The real trouble is this smoke plume rising into the air a few miles in the distance. (Incidentally we can see it really clearly this morning - still not coming in our direction but bloody big!) Apparently some health wonks in Hertfordshire County Council decided the poor kiddies would be risking their delicate little lungs by being outside or travelling to school on both Monday and Tuesday, so they closed most of the schools within 10 miles of the smoke, including Watford. Madness - there's not even a smell here. Still, true to form, the kiddies all converged on Watford town centre, with nothing much better to do than take up space and feel please Christmas hols have come early.

So by the time I got to the barber shop I was practically knee-deep in the irritating little buggers (and big buggers in fact). The owner of the barber shop is very 'cool', and is something of a local celeb for all the rebel kids who get their hair-cut there in freaky ways to piss off their schools. They were hanging around outside, and inside the shop, and there was a queue of about 10 people.

Life is too short. I decided to try again Tuesday (today). Heard last night the schools would be closed again today. Arse. Am trying to go in early to avoid the rebels who I presume will lie in (sensisble assumption? no idea!)

Apart from that, things going well. Ordered most of my Christmas shopping from the internet last night, and now crossing fingers it all arrives in time. Did some useful admin and dull stuff, paying bills and the like, and, most importantly, got an appointment to see Dr. O'Grady Wednesday morning for The Results.

Still on for my dash to Streatham tonight, so Semley-folks here we come!

Other fascinating facts for the day.

- Suddenly decided my life is incomplete without the new Honda Civic coming out in January. Passed one on the way into town and thought it looked great. Oh, inheritance money, thou art in danger...
- Gingerly removed the dressing over the biopsy site, and was v. disappointed to see nothingmore than a miniscule red dot. No exciting scars to show then ... yet.
- Crap night's sleep again, as ususal, but did my usual of getting up to eat something, play some Su Doku, and try again. Seems to work every time!
- I think I'm beginning to put on weight. Hoorah! Slow but sure.

No comments: