Saturday, December 03, 2005

Online at last

Well, thanks to Hazel I have finally got all the bits of my internet widget and I'm not proudly blogging from hospital. I arrived Thursday night after a 3-hour journey from hell through London traffic, and my brother came to meet me too which was good. He and wife Kathy are off to Florida for a well-deserved rest from the various family crises of the last few months, so it was nice to catch up.

The doctor came late on Thursday, when I arrive, and took an entire armful of blood to go and do various tests (all in the pre-transplant assessment program), then Friday morning I had a chest X-ray a CT scan on my liver and a lung-function analysis (breathing test). No results yet, they'll be delivered by my consultant. This won't happen that quickly, as my consultant popped his head round the door on Friday morning to tell me I looked a bit better and he wouldn't try and force-feed me with nasal tubes, and that he was off to Japan until Wednesday for a conference. So I'm definitely stuck in here until Wednesday at the least.

Thanks to Mai who visited me yesterday I have had two gorgeous lunches from Pret instead of the disgusting hospital offerings. I made some pasta in the style of pot-noodle for dinner. The ward chef-bloke hasn't seemed pissed off yet that I have ordered no food from him, so fingers crossed that continues - I'm very keen to keep all the staff here friendly!

Was also nice to see Robin yesterday afternoon and Hazel today. Really cheers me up to see people from "the outside", so if you're wondering whether to come, do! :o)

Only drawback so far is that my room seems to have the entire hospital plumbing and air-conditioning systems pumping away just outside which is damned noisy, and I've not slept too well, but there's always plenty of time to cat-nap during the day so I'm ok.

Incidentally, thanks to everyone writing comments on this blog, including someone I don't even know - I'm very humbled to think my writing is that interesting! Will try and keep the posting rate up. I need to keep reminding myself that this isn't as cheap as home broadband though...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

Just a quick note to say I’m reading your blog. It’s great to see updates on how you’re doing.

‘fraid I can’t come and visit at the moment. I’m off to Vancouver, which is slightly too far away to just pop in. I’ll be back later in December.

Iain.