Monday, March 23, 2009

David's Odyssey

I practically bounced out of bed at 9am this morning. Unusual, as morning's tend to be my worst time of day. Also unusual because I only finally fell asleep at 3:30am having had to sneak in a midnight snack of Rice Krispies, read far too much, and generally been overly awake due to my afternoon nap.

I quickly showered, gobbled down a generous helping of porridge, and drove over to St. Albans where I accompanied by brother and little Patrick to the woods behind their house to enjoy a stomp around, and a picnic in a makeshift 'tent' (a load of logs and sticks leaning against a tree - but Patrick didn't seem to mind). Patrick and I were both tired after that, and he went to bed for his nap, and I came back to Watford to have mine.

I woke up at around 5pm, helped Dad make a rice salad, and proceeded to pinch a generous portion before jumping in to my car and heading to Reading for a dance competition. I had been delighted and touched when three friends of mine who were already at the competition rang me having talked amongst themselves and been all concerned that I was planning to drive myself all the way there and back. Fortunately my pain levels have been continuing to diminish, my energy levels have been returning, and my intestines have been improving their behaviour every day!

The drive was sluggish, as one would expect on a Sunday evening, but I enjoyed myself immensely and played music very loudly and alternately sang loudly and then wiggled in my seat depending on whether my CD was playing pop or dancing music. I arrive, amazingly, bang on time at the leisure centre to watch the grand final of the ballroom dancing championship. There was a short break then they commenced with the amateur latin championship. I nearly exploded with excitement at seeing all the competitors, hearing the brilliant music, seeing the costumes, and smelling the fake tan. Several people told me to sit down, sit still, calm down, etc. but I was very much on cloud 9. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire evening, and got back home by just after 10:30pm.

Finally this evening I have eaten the remains of the rice salad, gabbled overenthusiastically at Dad and Carole about my evening, and finally settled down with my laptop and a good book this evening to settle down and process it all.

Things are looking up.

Touch wood.

Twice.

No comments: