Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Watford A&E Again

Well, as the evening went on the situation got worse. The Buscapan didn't help things at all and my lower back began to ache. I wanted to take some Immodium but Dad and Carole said I really should contact Kings, and in any case we were all concerned whether the diarrhoea would impair the absorbtion of my immunosuppressants.

The first number for Kings that I tried them on I got no response. The second number they gave me short shrift and said to phone my GP. Finally on the third attempt I got through to someone very helpful who asked me my symptoms carefuly and then went off to talk to a senior medic. He has a memorable name actually, this doctor, as he treated my instinal problems and is called Mr Bowles. Well, I think it's funny anyway...

I was told to go to Watford A&E to get an X-Ray. This was a precaution, but in light of last week's appalling saga they wanted to be on the safe side. Dad was very upset at the thought that I would be going back to Watford A&E - I think of the 3 of us (Dad, Carole and myself) he has been the most affected by those 5 horrific hours we spent there last week while I was screaming in pain.

In the end Carole took me down there, and despite a large number of people in the waiting area (the majority of whom were Irish men who had apparently been enjoying St. Patrick's day up to the point they started hitting each other), I managed to sell my story convincingly enough to the reception and got bumped straight to the top of the list and admitted immediately.

To our great relief the nurse in charge was Chris - a really nice guy who was the most reassuring and professional staff member when I was there last week. Also pleasing was the fact that none of last week's doctors appeared to be on.

Anyway, after 3 hours there, about 10 more trips to the loo, chest and abdomen x-rays and multiple blood tests, the doctor decided I could go home. She had discussed all my details with the senior medic at Kings, and they were both satisfied. They gave me some sachets of Diarolyte, but told me not to take Immodium and just 'let it run its course'. Unfortunately the extra dose of Buscopan they administered through my Cannula also did nothing to ease my now fairly intense back pain, so as soon as I got home I took the maximum quantity of painkiller tabs that I'm allowed and sat uncomfortably for about an hour with a heatpack (or back on the loo) until it finally kicked in.

By 3-3:30 am the pain was significantly eased and I'm delighted to report that the diarrhoea had finally stopped. I waited up for a little while, and then had a very small amount of bread and a nutrient drink, and now I'm finally heading to bed (5:50am!)

It wasn't fun at all, but on the plus side Watford General A&E staff were staggeringly better-performing today and have improved our confidence in them no end. Also I had it confirmed that there is no further sign of obstruction, and as a silver lining I am most definitely no longer constipated!

My food-hygiene paranoia levels are even further increased now, but justifiably so I think. Unfortunately I'm seriously doubting whether I'll be up to travelling to Malvern on Friday for my Uncle Tom's funeral, which is rather sad, but I don't think it is worth me pushing it right now. I could do with plenty of steps forward for a while.

No comments: