Sunday, March 22, 2009

Day 44

Apparently it's 44 days since the operation, 11 days since my bowel-spasm blip, and the 5th day after the resulting diarrhoea-issues. (I have been searching, fruitlessly, for a more tasteful way of referring to it - please do give me a suggestion if you have one).

I was very concerned this morning as I woke up at 7am, 8am and 9am for toilet trips, then finally caved in and woke up. 11am and midday were particularly uncomfortable. By that point I was getting quite miserable about the whole thing, and wondered whether I should even be eating lunch or dinner at all. In fact in a state of some paranoia I started researching such conditions as Crohn's disease, Ulcerative Colitis (both strongly associated with my former liver condition, PSC) and the lesser Irritable Bowel Disease. I'd begun to formulate a horrible idea that the PSC had somehow appeared in the new liver (hence the continuing dubious liver enzyme levels) and had also propagated a new symptom of bowel problems.

Anyway, putting that aside and feeling, and being slightly cheered that by 2:30pm I hadn't felt any discomfort or 'urge', I drove Carole and I to Waitrose (where I was being Dad's stand-in while he was on the recliner with a slightly dodgy back). That trip passed very pleasantly indeed, and I decided to have a little nap on our return. Dad woke me at 6:45pm and I then drove all three of us over to St. Albans for dinner with Charles and Kathy. Kathy had made an absolutely beautiful meal of spinach soufflé, stuffed lamb fillet, and tarte au citron, and we had an absolutely lovely evening.

As usual, it seems, I feel great in the evening, but seem to be much more delicate in the morning. Still, it feels like taking the whole day into account that I have made some progress, but that it may be worthwhile taking a little more care over my diet. Despite the lack of any particular scientific rigour to the idea, I feel I may go easy on the dairy produce and wheat-based foods, as I have heard anecdotally that people with IBS can experience some relief when avoiding these foods. It'll be an interesting exercise anyway, but not one that I will necessarily follow too strictly.

A particularly cheering piece of news today was texted to me by my friend Evan this morning, who had spotted an article in the Financial Times that celebrated Watford Boys Grammar to be the only British comprehensive school to have ever broken in to the list of the top 100 schools at A-Level in the history of the tables, putting it firmly at number 1 in the list of comprehensives and partial-comprehensives. I am intensely proud of this achievement, and of the whole school. Have a look at the article - its impressive how out of 9 schools making it in to the top 300, 3 are based in Watford.

I also received a lovely email from Dad's old friend Sally, who has been following my progress on this blog for some time. It never ceases to amaze me how many people seem to be taking an active interest in this, and I really want to say a huge Thank You to all of you, and tell you how much it means to me. There have certainly been some dark and difficult moments, and to know how many people out there are willing me on has been a great source of strength and encouragement.

No comments: