Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Morphine hangover

I've been very, very sleepy since I arrived at Kings yesterday afternoon. Last night I apparently had a slight fever, and woke up feeling very cold and shivery and had to go for an X-Ray - the hospital coridoors are freezing at 7am!

I've slept fitfully all morning, and each time I've woken up I've had a fairly nasty headache - very much like a bad hangover. I suspect its the result of all that morphine yesterday. Fortunately it has now faded to a manageable level, and it seems like my temperature has normalised too. I was also cheered up when Ruby, the clinical-trial coordinator nurse, came to tell me that I should still be able to take up the Everolimus drug-trial. That's brilliant news as I really wanted to take part, and also its a huge convenience as it means the drug company will pay for my transport to and from the hospital whenever I need to come to clinic. It's also great news as Everolimus is supposed to have significantly fewer side-effects than the normal drug.

So the plan now is that I'm allowed to sip water this afternoon. Later today if everything is fine then I can try small cups of tea or juice. Tomorrow they will allow me a little soft-food, and hopefully build up to eating normally again by Friday/Saturday. If it all goes to plan then I guess I'd be discharged at the weekend - fingers crossed.

Apparently having had one bowel-spasm due to adhesion, it is not at all unlikely that it could happen again. If it happens often then there is a surgical procedure they could try to reduce the problem, but its not something they like to do. At least if it happens again I'll know what it is, and what needs to happen. I might even get them to provide me with a just-in-case medication that I can take at the first signs of it going wrong.

No comments: