Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Return of the dyanamic Dave

What a great couple of days. On Monday I decided to have a lazy morning, given my energetic schedule on Sunday. Despite this I managed to accrue a list of about 12 different things to do by 11am, ranging from answering a slightly complicated email query from work, through updating my friends' wedding website and ringing various people for advice on nutrition and alternative medicine, to organising a trip to take a suitcase of gran's old photographs to an aged relative to help build up a family tree and write down some old family stories and reminiscences.

I absolutely stormed through the list, and managed to add in several more items during the day which all got ticked off. This kept me busy enough that I finally managed an afternoon without having a nap, which allowed me to get a slightly more sensible bedtime that night. I also got through the whole day with just 4 paracetamol pills on top of the required 8 immunosuppression pills, 2 cortico-steriod pills, and 2 others. An 18-pill day - can't be bad! In fact I've not had any of the powerful painkillers for over a week now.

Tuesday was even better. Another pleasantly lazy start then I sprang in to action mid-morning, and after a swift porridge breakfast (which has made a comeback as my regular morning meal - making me feel healthy and smug), I drove down to my flat in Finchley Road, picked up my post, sorted out some banking, filled in half of the application form for the distance-learning sports science course I'm studying for next year (long story - another time...), then met up with my friend Evan for a late lunch. We had a really good catch up, and bought some huge and decadent pastries from Waitrose afterwards - I was particularly surprised and amused when someone recognised him from TV and half-shouted something like "I love your work" at him as they sped by with their shopping trolley!

I managed to pleasantly lose track of time as we chatted, then had to slightly rudely kick Evan out, grab all my things together and head back to my car at full pelt to drive over to Harrow where I managed to be 15 minutes late for an appointment with Barry, an old friend-of-the-family who is a Shiatsu practitioner combined with all sorts of other massage and alternative therapies. He's previously done quite incredible things to fix any back pains and problems I've had, and I felt that given the traumas of the last 8 or so weeks that it was time for a bit of a system-overhaul.

Very pleasant indeed, and I'm sure I was at least an inch taller when I left and the slight headachey pressure in my forehead that had been around for a while in the background had almost vanished entirely. Finally it was back to Watford for a healthy dose of Chicken Soup, care of Dad, over which we managed to spend a good hour debating politics and setting the world to rights before settling down to watch a particularly mindless and yet enjoyable film on TV. (Boys' night in - Carole was staying with my step-brother Ben and his family overnight).

So, following an early night where I actually not only went to bed but also got to sleep before midnight for the first time for weeks, here I am on Wednesday morning at 7:15am about to get up and don my suit-and-tie to make my first expedition in to work since the first week in January. Very exciting stuff.

Oh, and Tuesday was a 16-pill day. All things digestive are settling slowly but surely, though I'm not entirely back to normal yet. I think that the yellow at the edge of my eyes has receded a little again, so fingers crossed for tomorrow's blood tests in clinic!

No comments: