Friday, February 20, 2009

Day 15 - Leaving day & Multiplying Moaners

Well, finally! I've just finished my last breakfast-in-bed (the only real upside of hospital), and I'm just waiting for the new linen to arrive on the ward so I can get a new towel to shower and get ready to go.

I didn't sleep very well last night. It was very noisy on the ward. Loudmouth Linda spent the entire night crying and weeping, and was keeping me awake even though my door was closed and so, I believe, was hers. This morning she has been joined by another voice who warbles (like an aging opera singer) "Help!" at almost exactly 30-second intervals. Linda herself, clearly quite tired, has ceased to make any distinct words, and is now making sort of animal whining noises.

I've got to see the pharmacist this morning to get my 2-weeks supply of drugs to go home with. In addition to yesterday's list I'll *also* be on Cocodamol (painkiller: paracetamol/codeine mix), and Aspirin (as an anti-clotting agent). I also have to see the clinical trial team for an examination to ensure I'm still on course for the trial. They're really quite excited about me as I'm progressing toward being the first patient in the whole of the UK on this trial (although there are many already on it in the USA). I also have to meet with the nutritionist to discuss what food and supplements I should be having at home. I'm pretty confident I already know about this but it does no harm to hear it again.

I'm going to miss some of the wonderful nurses here. They are some of the most wonderful, understanding, sympathetic, compassionate people I have ever met. I was thinking of getting them a box of chocolates but that seems a bit too easy and not enough. I'm going to give it some thought and get something more meaningful.

I'm *not* going to miss being woken up at 6:30am each morning with medication and observations (blood pressure, temperature, etc.). I definitely won't miss the several injections per day, nor the finger-pricks they do to test blood-sugar a few times per day.

I absolutely definitely will not miss the food. Dad has tantalised my tastebuds with the thought of chicken soup tonight. Wonderful!

Roll on the journey home.

No comments: