Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Seeing the whites of the eyes

I've just woken up from my second amazing night's sleep in a row. In fact this was better even than the night before as I didn't wake up too hot in the night. I've been sleeping a good 9-10 hours each night, uninterrupted by nurses, shouting, beeping, etc.
Hopefully soon I'll get back in to the habit of not waking up 3 times a night to go to the loo as well, though frankly I'm just pleased that my kidneys are working really well - I'll let them enjoy their newfound freedom for a while.

My old GP came round to visit me yesterday and prescribed large backup quantities of the medicines I'm on. The pharmacist looked rather startled to see the enormous list of things. Dad and I will *definitely* be taking the car to pick up the crate of things today. Both she and also my best friend Chris's parents who came round were rather surprised to see me open the door. I rather suspect Dad and Carole are rather proud of that too as they seem to be conspiciously far from the front door each time it rings...

Yesterday was remarkably tiring, but then I think I spent about 5 times as long as usual up on my feet. It serves to show how bored I was in hospital without anywhere to go, whereas at home I'm always up and about doing things. Still, I'm managing my pain very well even without the injections available. I'm glad they didn't reduce my painkiller level in the hospital before I went - I definitely need it still to counter all this extra movement. But it will all be great for my recovery.

I've been going around since I left hospital grinning like a fool. Little things like being able to look into my old bedroom mirror and see white eyes staring back at me instead of yellow, Carole noticing that I'm not scratching all the time while watching TV, feeling tired in the evening and falling pleasantly asleep with ease - these are all so amazingly satisfying I just can't express it!

I've been in touch with work about doing some little tasks on my computer while at Dad's - accessing the school computers remotely. They all keep saying "don't worry, don't overdo it", though fortunately the Head has realised it is futile to try and stop me getting involved as he knows what a determined enthusiast I am.

So a relaxed day coming up today, with my sister-in-law Kathy visiting this afternoon with my gorgeous 2-and-a-half year old nephew. Tomorrow is more exciting - she is having a 26-week pregnancy scan to find out the sex of new baby Weston. Also I'm off to the hospital for my first weekly checkup in the clinic, and to meet the chief surgeon from my operation to discuss progress.

No comments: