Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Day 5!

Hi folks,
Sorry about being a bit tardy. Now that responsibility for updates has gone back to me you're going to be a little at the whim of my energy levels!

I've had a hard couple of days. From later afternoon on Sunday I gradually became more and more bloated with trapped wind, and was increasingly uncofortable no matter what painkillers I took. By Monday morning I was really in a bad way and texted Dad and Carole to come in to help me get through it even though visiting hours weren't due for some time yet. I really did feel like I was about to burst!

Unfortunately each set of medics said that there really was nothing to be done about it apart from painkillers, and that it would just clear itself up. During the day yesterday I got transferred from the liver intensive care unit to Todd Ward - the general liver unit. From te moving about that I did for that, plus some back rubbing and moving that I did when Charles was visiting last night, I've gradually started get some easing going on.

Excuse the crudity, but I can't think of a single other time in my life where releasing gas was so looked-foward to.

I've been coughing quite a bit this morning, which is painful, but generally I'm feeling distinctly better. I'm hoping to be allowed to take some sips of water during today, and maybe even get my catheter out. Both of these would be major forward steps in the comfort stakes...

Oh dear, my writing style is definitely not so good while I'm on all these drugs. Sorry about that, but I'll do my best to update every day at least :)

3 comments:

Helen H said...

Congratulations!! I have been reading your blow by blow accounts with bated breath, and am relieved and really pleased for you that you are making such good progress. Looking forward to seeing you back at WGSB - I'm sure you can't wait! - keep your spirits up - you're doing fantastically well.
Fond regards, Helen (Ht)

Anonymous said...

All best wishes from Belfast, David! Great to hear you're feeling better, and your courage has been inspiring.

Orla (Kathy's friend)

Unknown said...

Dave, Well done mate. Guillaume and I are thrilled by your news. Really thrilled by it. And your blog is brilliant. Very good luck. I'm going to come try to visit and and feed you grapes soon.

Evan