Monday, February 23, 2009

Day 18 - Biopsy

(No more poetry today...)

I've just been woken up by the doctor at 6am to take blood tests. She said it is very likely I will have the liver biopsy procedure carried out today, but doesn't know when (click on the previous link for more information on it). It's not very comfortable but not a big deal compared to what I've been through! Apparently they can use it to rule rejection in or out definitively. I don't know what the course of action would be if it isn't rejection, but if it is rejection then it will mean an extra several days in hospital and a big boost of steroids and immunosuppressants to control it and then let things settle back down.

More details as they come, but assuming I get the procedure they have to keep me overnight for observation anyway, so earliest discharge tomorrow, but likely to be here a while longer yet.

Last night 4 of my friends took me out to Nandos again (dining out options in camberwell are notably limited...), and I ate even more than last time. Yesterday in the morning I also walked right to the far end of camberwell to get a haircut. I got a bit of a scalping, as is the trend around here, despite asking for something distinctly more conservative:



Scalped! - taken 6:50am Monday 23rd Feb in my hospital room.


Still, it's great to know I can walk quite far now without difficulty - my fitness is improving every day. My nurse this morning tells me I have the most stable 'obs' (blood pressure, pulse rate, temperature, blood-sugar) of anyone on the ward.

No comments: