Friday, February 06, 2009

This liver is mine!

This is it. The big one. I am currently under the knife in the liver operating theatre, having gone in at 1030 this morning. My brother and I were waiting and waiting to find out if this was going to be it, or whether another person was going to get it. We were pretty chilled, and I had the various checks - ECG, blood pressure, MRSA swabs. We strolled across to an x-ray department to get a new chest x-ray done, and within minutes, an anaesthesiologist came to find us, saying 'forget that, let's go'. The liver was mine! We rushed back to the ward, and I was told to have a very quick shower (with some antiseptic soap), put my stockings on (to stop DVT), and lie in bed. Sedative was given, and we all rushed off, telling people to move out of the way, and at one stage telling people in a full lift to get out as we needed it. Arriving at the theatre, I was given more sedative. Charles left, and I went in. A few hours into this procedure and I am unconscious, possibly with no liver in me (makes it a bit difficult to type). The procedure is 6 hours min, so I may get out some time after 1630, although I will remain deeply sedated for a couple of days. Expect an update this evening!

No comments: